Wednesday, February 7, 2007

buying an acoustic guitar in the philippines

Q: Where can I buy a good guitar in the Philippines?

1. Cebu

Tita Wilma once brought me to a street in Cebu with guitar shops in a row. They sold mostly steel-stringed guitars but I bought Ma-an one with nylon strings. I noticed some buzzing problems, and the intonation was less than perfect, but the tone is something I've only heard in Cebu guitars. Even cheap strings sound nice on that guitar. It has since passed away due to loose nuts in the head.

2. Sta. Mesa (along Aurora Blvd. near UERM and SM)

I bought my first guitar with a langka sounding board in one of the Lumanog stores in Sta. Mesa.

O. C. Bandilla always has consistent-looking and -sounding instruments from guitars to double basses.

Recently Don-Jon has also been gaining popularity. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, the guitars are of very good quality, though a bit more pricey than those of its neighbors.

But if you're after value-for-money, go to Zeny Bandilla, literally. She's usually there. I bought an acoustic bass for the school and went back with my brother who bought a plug-in classical guitar. Both were less than perfect, but they were definitely worth the price.

3. Yamaha

My only guitar as of now is a CG-80 A I bought from the main Yupangco store along Reposo St. in Bel-air, Makati. I haven't needed another one. It's hard to find a guitar in the same price range with the same durability, intonation, and tone.

I'm still eyeing the one with pickups and a microphone just inside the soundhole.

http://www.yupangco.com/

4. Other Stores

JB Music offers a wide selection of guitars to suit your need and budget limitations. I always visit their stores if only to look (ogle) and maybe pick up some strings.

http://www.jbmusic.com.ph/

Lazer also has some reasonably-priced stuff. I think they have the cheapest good egg shakers and tambourines.

5. Tell me if you spot some other good ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

magkano po ba ang presyo ng egg shaker sa Lazer? pakisagot naman po. ty

Anonymous said...

i bought a zenny bandilla acoustic guitar..just like what you've said..really nice guitar..the tone is not that bad compare to those branded guitars..i try some of the branded acoustic guitars in malls..and the sound of the zeny bandilla guitar is almost the same..its just z. bandilla sounds thinner on the bass and crystal clear on the trebles..with some amplification..it will do..maybe ill change the strings to a medium guage..ill update after that.tnx for the advice from gitaristang pinoy.."happy face"